With the sad demise of legendary actor, Dilip Kumar comes an end of an era in Hindi Cinema. The ‘Tragedy King’ took his last breath in Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai on July 7. Dilip Kumar has been one of the finest actors winning millions of hearts Worldwide. All his work symbolises his perfection in the film industry. From his love life to his acting career, there are many undiscovered facts about Dilip Kumar. Therefore, while remembering him we will take you down to some little known facts about the iconic star.
Unexplored Facts about Dilip Kumar
Dilip Kumar’s real name
- Do you know the real name of Dilip Kumar is Mohammad Yusuf Khan? Dilip Kumar is his screen which was given to him by a popular actor from Bombay Talkies, Devika Rani.
Surprising rare known facts about Dilip Kumar:
- Dilip Kumar was born in Peshawar, Pakistan. He is the first actor who got the trophy for the Best Actor in Filmfare Awards.
- Post partition, Dilip Kumar and his family moved to Mumbai. To earn the daily bread Dilip started working at a sandwich stall at an Army Club in Pune where he used to earn 1 Rs per day.
Pro at speaking different languages
- The legendary actor was fluent in many languages like Pashto, Hindko, Urdu, Hindi and English.
- The only actor to receive continuous Filmfare Awards
- Dilip Kumar is the only actor in Hindi Cinema to receive three Filmfare Awards consecutively in 1955, 1956 and 1957.
Shocking facts about Dilip Kumar
The actor married twice
- Hardly anyone knows that Dilip Kumar has been married twice in his life. He tied the knot with actress Saira Banu in 1966 and second, he married Hyderabad socialite Asma Sahiba in the year 1981. However, his marriage with Asma lasted for only two years.
- The surprising part is, Dilip Kumar refused to work with Saira Bano as she was too young. Nonetheless, he knew she would end up being the love of his life.
Dilip Kumar success story
- Jwar Bhata is Dilip Kumar’s first film. The movie released in 1944 and the second was Pratima in 1945. Unfortunately, both these movies could not do that well on the screens. Dilip’s third film ‘Milan’ turned into the biggest breakthrough of his career. Dilip played the lead actor and it was a super hit.
- After this, there was no looking back for him. The actor gave back to back hit films like ‘Jugnu’, ‘Shaheed’, ‘Andaz’, ‘Jogan’, ‘Daag’, ‘Aan’, ‘Devdas’, ‘Naya Daur’ and ‘Mughal-e-Azam’. By the age of 25, Dilip became the top actor of Bollywood. Everyone wanted to work with him.
- In the initial stage of his career, Dilip’s signing amount ranged from Rs 5 lakh to Rs 11 lakh.
The reason he is known as ‘Tragedy King’
- During the 1950’s Dilip did many movies where his roles were depressing. To give the best performance, the actor got into the sad characters.
However, this was creating a problem in his personal life which is why later Dilip took lighter roles.
Dilip Kumar strongest affair
- As per the hearsay, Madhubala was Dilip Kumar’s, first love. The two were in love and according to the rumours they even got engaged. However, because of a conflict between Madhubala’s father and Dilip, the two parted ways.
Dilip Kumar’s children
- Dilip Kumar and Saira Bano have no children. No one is sure about the reason behind it. Yet, in an interview, Saira revealed that their son would look like Shah Rukh. Not only this but Saira and Dilip treated SRK as their son. Every time Dilip returned from the hospital, Shahrukh was the first to visit their house.
Dilip Kumar achieved several Milestones
- Dilip Kumar received outstanding honours and rewards including, the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan, NTR National Award by the Government of Andhra Pradesh and Nishan-e-Imtiaz which in 1998 Pakistan.
- He is many actors ideal and, his versatility deserves a salute. From his perfect portrayal as a true blue-blooded prince in Mughal-e-Azam to his romantic Avatar, the actor never failed to impress with his Charisma. Such actors stay forever in the heart no matter where they are.